|Written by Administrator|
|Saturday, 15 August 2009 12:28|
In 1934 then Mayor Harry M. Crighton began construction on what he hoped would be "one of the fanciest [theaters] west of the Mississippi." Conroe architect Blum E. Hester designed the theatre in the Italian-Romanesque style. Crighton wanted room for both movies and Vaudeville entertainment so he requested 40â€™ of fly space above the stage so scenery could be quickly and easily changed.
According to Crighton, "safety, comfort and beauty" were the guiding principles in all aspects of design and construction of the $80,000 theatre. The interior of the theatre was reminiscent of a Venetian garden complete with balconies, terraces, niches, frescos all capped overhead with a deep blue sky complete with twinkling stars. For comfort, the Crighton boasted the only fully electric refrigerated air cooling system for miles around. The mechanic remnants of this massive system remain in the basement under the lobby. Outlets for the air ducts were cleverly hidden behind large carved plaster medallions. The building itself was described in its day as "practically fireproof " since it was constructed of reinforced concrete, structural steel and masonry. According to Conroe Courier articles of the day, "no expense was spared in the construction in order to give the people of Montgomery County an amusement center second to none in this section of the state."
Read about the Renovation
|Last Updated on Saturday, 15 August 2009 14:08|